Community Options, Inc. is a registered Private Voluntary Organization (PVO) with USAID.
USAID is an independent federal government agency that receives overall foreign policy guidance from the Secretary of State. Their work supports long-term and equitable economic growth and advances U.S. foreign policy objectives by supporting:
- economic growth, agriculture and trade;
- global health; and,
- democracy, conflict prevention and humanitarian assistance.
Community Options strongly believes that every person with a disability has a basic human right to self-determination and integration into society at large. Community Options has assisted local organizations and disability rights advocates throughout Europe, South America, and the Middle East in developing greater opportunities for the inclusion of people with disabilities in their communities.
- In the UK, Community Options has presented to global thought leaders at the University of Oxford on the inclusion of people with disabilities in the community.
- In Lima, Peru, Community Options partnered with a local NGO, El Patronato Peruano De Rehabilitacion, that supports individuals with disabilities, to assist them with the development of innovative programs to support people with disabilities.
- In Cairo, Egypt, Community Options partnered with the National Council of Negro Women to develop a prosthetics lab, start up a Partners in Policymaking advocacy training program for families caring for individuals with disabilities, and pilot community-based rehabilitation founded on local support groups to achieve citizen participation and advocacy among individuals with disabilities.